An invaluable resource of health information.
Cologne is a scented liquid made from alcohol and essential oils. Cologne poisoning occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally swallows cologne.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
- Poisonous Ingredient
- Ethyl alcohol (ethanol)
- Isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol)
Note: This list may not include all poisonous ingredients in cologne.
- Where Found
- Various colognes
- Bladder and kidneys
- Too much or too little urine output
- Ears, nose, and throat
- Throat pain
- Heart and blood
- Low blood pressure
- Low blood sugar
- Rapid heart rate
- Nervous system
Children are particularly prone to developing low blood sugar, which may include symptoms such as weakness, confusion, irritability, nausea, or sleepiness.
- Bladder and kidneys
- Home Treatment
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless you are told to do so by Poison Control or a health care professional.
- Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient's age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
- Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. You may receive:
- Breathing tube
- Fluids through a vein (by IV)
- A tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage)
You may have to stay in the hospital.
- Expectations (prognosis)
How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Cologne poisoning may result in a condition similiar to being drunk (alcohol intoxication) to severe breathing problems, seizures, and coma. A product with more isopropyl alcohol may potentially cause a more serious illness.
Jacobsen D, Hovda KE. Methanol, ethylene glycol, and other toxic alcohols. In: Shannon MW, Borron SW, Burns MJ, eds. Haddad and Winchester's Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 32.
Caraccio TR, McFee RB. Cosmetics and toilet articles. In: Shannon MW, Borron SW, Burns MJ, eds. Haddad and Winchester's Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 100.
Review Date: 1/26/2010
Reviewed By: Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, Washington. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.