Orthopedics and Sports Medicine
We are introducing, MyCare, an enhanced information system to help you better manage your health and wellness. It provides an up-to-date medical history and has many more features.
Surgeons in the Department of Orthopedics and Sports Medicine provide surgical and non-surgical care to patients with diseases of the musculoskeletal system, including fractures, deformities, or injuries of the bones, muscles, joints, tendons, or spinal column.
Total Knee Replacement using VERILAST™ Technology
What is VERILAST Knee Technology?
VERILAST Technology is a pairing of materials that is shown in laboratory testing to more than double the wear performance of the Smith & Nephew LEGION™ cruciate retaining (CR) knee replacement.
• It is the combination of Smith & Nephew’s award-winning OXINIUM™ metal alloy and a “cross-linked” plastic component (XLPE).
• VERILAST is a knee replacement technology that uses advanced, low-friction surfaces for both sides of the knee joint.
About VERILAST Knee Technology
Based on laboratory wear simulation testing, the LEGION◊ Primary Knee System with VERILAST Technology is expected to provide wear performance sufficient for 30 years of actual use under typical conditions.
The results of laboratory wear simulation testing have not been proven to predict actual joint durability and performance in people. A reduction in wear alone may not result in improved joint durability and performance because other factors, such as bone structure, can affect joint durability and performance and cause medical conditions that may result in the need for additional surgery. These other factors were not studied as part of the testing.
What is OXINIUM™ (Oxidized Zirconium) material?
• OXINIUM Oxidized Zirconium, a tough, smooth metal whose ceramic surface is 4,900 times more abrasion resistant than cobalt chrome. The ceramic surface is created through a manufacturing process where oxygen is naturally diffused into the zirconium metal as it is heated in air. When the metal is saturated with oxygen, the surface transforms from a metal to a ceramic. This is a transformation of the original metal surface into a ceramic and not an externally applied coating.
• OXINIUM is a hypoallergenic implant material available for femoral-side knee implants. Other implant materials (primarily cobalt chrome) contain nickel and chromium, two metals associated with metal allergy. If patients have an allergic reaction to their cobalt chrome knee implant, it may have to be surgically removed.
• OXINIUM is more than 20% lighter than a same-sized implant made from cobalt chrome—the other metal from which knee implants can be made.
Locations & Doctors
Christie Clinic on Fox Drive 217.366.1237- phone
Christie Clinic in Danville on Vermilion/Convenient Care 217.366.1237- phone