November is National Healthy Skin Month! The skin is the body’s largest organ, and so it is important to take care of it to keep it looking and feeling its best. Follow these tips to keep your skin feeling healthy.
- Protect your skin from the sun. It is important to protect your skin daily. Whether spending a day in the sun or just running errands, wearing sun-protective clothing such as a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, and long sleeves protects you from harmful UV rays that can prematurely age your skin. Look for protective clothing with a UPF factor for an added benefit. Additionally, wearing a sunscreen with SPF of at least 30 on all non-covered areas and reapplying regularly will prevent the signs of early aging.
- Apply self-tanner rather than get a tan. Every time you get a tan, you prematurely age your skin. Both natural and artificial sun can damage the skin and make it appear older than it really is. Instead, consider getting a spray tan or investing in some self-tanner to get that healthy glow.
- If you smoke, stop. Smoking greatly speeds skin aging. It can cause wrinkles and a dull, sallow complexion.
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. Findings from a few studies suggest that eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables may help prevent damage that leads to premature skin aging. Findings from research studies also suggest that a diet containing lots of sugar or other refined carbohydrates can accelerate aging.
- Drink less alcohol and more water. Alcohol is rough on the skin. It dehydrates the skin, and in time, damages the skin. This can make us look older.
- Exercise most days of the week. Findings from a few studies suggest that moderate exercise can improve circulation and boost the immune system. This, in turn, may give the skin a more youthful appearance.
- Cleanse your skin gently. Scrubbing your skin clean can irritate your skin. Irritating your skin accelerates skin aging. Gentle washing helps to remove pollution, makeup, and other substances without irritating your skin.
- Apply a facial moisturizer every day. Moisturizer traps water in our skin, giving it a more youthful appearance. In the dry winter months, reach for a product containing hyaluronic acid for an added moisture boost.